Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cosmetic Tip Tuesday: Cleaning a Metal Lash Comb

I long ago discovered the usefulness of a lash comb (as long as I don't poke myself in the eye with it, which I have done on occasion) in separating my lashes and banishing mascara clumps after I apply mascara. Despite claims to the contrary (mainly on Makeup Alley), I don't believe there is such a thing as a Holy Grail mascara. I think one can come close and sideswipe one, but as with all things in life, there's always something:  the mascara doesn't apply cleanly; it leaves clumps; it give you spider lashes; it dries out too fast; the list goes on and on.

To negate at least a couple of these problems, I started using a mascara comb. My first one had plastic "tines" and a brow brush on the other end. I found it unwieldy, so I switched to a Tweezerman Folding Ilash Comb. I bought two white ones at first, lost them both (d'uh), bought a clear one, lost that one (double d'uh), and am now using the Sonia Kashuk Lash Comb from Target, which is basically identical but comes in two versions: with and without a folding brow brush on the opposite end.
Tweezerman Ilash Comb
So, to the cleaning: Get an old toothbrush (or buy one for this purpose), wet it, soap it up a little bit, and run the dirty lash comb through the toothbrush bristles until all the mascara has transferred from the lash comb to the toothbrush. Soap the toothbrush up again to wash it, then rinse and let dry. Once it's clean and dry, and in between lash comb cleanings, I use the toothbrush to groom unruly brows. There you go!

On another note, I am behind on posting product reviews, and I apologize for that. Tax season is a bear for me. I don't file until April because I usually owe money, and this year I decided at the last minute that I need to find a CPA to do them for me because of certain life circumstances that have affected my taxes. I actually have a Femme Fatale review almost ready to go, and Dawn Eyes Cosmetics Spearl Matte Collection and Winnie the Pooh Collection waiting in the wings , so please bear with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment